· Last season's game - Stoke City 0 Spurs 4, 10.09.16
· This season's home game - Spurs 5 Stoke City 1, 09.12.17
· This week - last year
· What happened in the Premier League on Matchday 33 2016-17
· See the current injury list for all Premier League Teams
· All the Spurs Stats you could hope for here! THFC6061 Sports Stats
Full League Record v Stoke City
Premier Pl W D L F - A Pts
Home 10 5 3 2 22 -10 18
Away 9 6 0 3 17 -10 18
Total (Prem) 19 11 3 5 39 -20 36
Home (Div One) 26 20 5 1 56 -19 49
Away (Div One) 26 7 8 11 26 -34 24
Total(Div 1) 52 27 13 12 82 -53 73
Home(Div Two) 7 6 1 0 18 - 7 13
Away(div Two) 7 2 1 4 9 -11 5
Total(Div 2) 14 8 2 4 27 -18 18
Total (Prem) 19 11 3 5 39 -20 36
Total (Div1) 52 27 13 12 82 -53 73
Total (Div2) 14 8 2 4 27 -18 18
Grand Total 85 46 18 21 148 -91 127
Last Six Premier League results:-
Stoke - DDDLLL
Stoke 1-1 Brighton
Leicester 1-1 Stoke
S'hampton 0-0 Stoke
Stoke 0-2 Man City
Stoke 1-2 Everton
Arsenal 3-0 Stoke
Spurs - DWWWWW
Liverpool 2-2 Spurs
Spurs 1-0 Arsenal
C. Palace 0-1 Spurs
Spurs 2-0 Hds'field
B'mouth 1-4 Spurs
Chelsea 1-3 Spurs
Pos P W D L F-A GD Pts
4. Spurs 31 19 7 5 62-26 36 64
19. Stoke 32 6 9 17 29-61 -32 27
Spurs' quest to extend a record
Spurs travel to the Bet365 Stadium, Stoke tomorrow in a quest to extend an incredible record. When we beat "The Potters" 5-1 at Wembley in December, we became the first team in Premier League and indeed Football League history to win four consecutive games against the same opposition by four clear goals. Let's just recap those four marvellous results for Spurs:-
1. 18.04.16 - Stoke 0 Spurs 4. Spurs were mathematically still in the chase for the Premier League title, drawing to within 5 points of surprise Champions Leicester. Harry Kane and Dele Alli both scored two goals as the travelling fans chanted "Leicester City, we're coming for you!".
2. 10.09.16 - Stoke 0 Spurs 4. Lightning struck twice, and so did Son Heung-min, with Dele and Harry also getting on the score sheet in another 4-0 at the former Britannia Stadium, re-named the Bet365. This was our last away game against Stoke, a full 19 months ago.
3. 26.02.17 - Spurs 4 Stoke 0. Stoke were pulverised yet again and Harry Kane scored a hat-trick, with Dele scoring the fourth goal at the end of the first half at White Hart Lane. There was a long way to go in the Premier League title race, but Spurs rose to second place, 10 points behind Chelsea. That was a race that was always going to be won by the team in blue.
4. 09.12.17 - Spurs 5 Stoke 1. At least Stoke got a goal, but that was scant consolation. Ryan Shawcross had scored that consolation, but also set the ball rolling for Spurs with a first half own goal. Son, Kane (2) and Eriksen completed what has become a ritual slaughter of Stoke City.
For all these defeats Stoke were managed by Mark Hughes, who has since been sacked (in January) after continuing poor league form and an embarrassing FA Cup defeat against League Two side Coventry. Hughes had been much maligned after resting key players and more or less conceding victory to Chelsea in advance, with the plan being to beat Newcastle at home. That plan failed and Newcastle returned to the north-east with a vital three points. Hughes has since been appointed by Southampton, and may yet suffer the ignominy of leading not one, but two sides to relegation!
Former Aston Villa (and other teams') manager Paul Lambert was appointed, and he hasn't exactly got a great success rate in recent years. Stoke's poor form has continued under Lambert. They did manage a 2-0 home win against Huddersfield, but that is the only win their fans have seen in this calendar year. Stoke have arguably become more resistant under Lambert, holding Arsenal last week until the last 15 minutes when the defensive dam was burst and the Gooners scored three goals.
Stoke have also drawn more games (4 in their last 8) under Lambert, who will be looking for more resilience tomorrow against a Spurs team that has been rampant in their last three games, scoring 10 goals without top scorer Harry Kane even on the pitch. Kane came off the bench last week in our historic win against Chelsea and will be looking to resume the battle for the Golden Boot with current leader Mohamed Salah. Harry's 8 goals in his last 4 games against this opposition is not a bad average to seek to maintain!
There is a great tweet which has been published this week by @oatcakescfc. It was a poll which asked the following question:-
What's the biggest shafting we've received by Spurs recently? After listing the last three four-goal defeats the poll suggests "£18M for Kevin Wimmer. The Wimmer suggestion leads the way with 84% of the vote! Wimmer hasn't played since January, but he did feature in the 5-1 in December.
Spurs players can rest a little easier this week in the knowledge that Charlie Adam, who was sent off at Goodison Park on 17th March, has to miss our game, and also Stoke's vital game next week against West Ham (away). The reason we relax a little more is Adam's tendency to make injury-causing tackles, not just against Spurs either. All of Stoke's remaining games are vital now of course, with them lying in 19th place three points, and the worst goal difference in the Premier League away from safety. They have to be looking for a minimum of three wins in those games surely. With Liverpool away amongst those games, we could be saying goodbye to "The Potters" after 10 years in the Premier League.
Perhaps Stoke's most noteworthy injury is that to Eric Choupo-Moting, signed last summer from Schalke and scorer of 5 goals this season, most recently with one against Everton last month. Choupo-Moting went off injured and has a groin strain which will keep him out of this game. Goalkeeper Lee Grant is injured, but number one keeper Jack Butland has been playing again this season, and is in the reckoning for England's trip to Russia. He certainly gets plenty of practice playing behind the Stoke defence!
Maybe we will see 37 year old "Two metre Peter" Crouch play against his old team tomorrow. Crouch has only made 10 league starts this season, and hasn't scored since November, but he wins the hearts of all football followers with his Twitter account (@petercrouch) and tweets such as the one which followed Ronaldo's wonder goal this week in the Champions League - "There is only a few of us who can do that".
Stoke's main goal-scoring threat would appear to be Swiss International Xherdan Shaqiri, but with Spurs at full strength with only Harry Winks an enforced absentee, Lambert's men are going to be facing a once again keen Spurs side, in top form, keen to assert their top four position.
Mauricio Pochettino's only dilemma will be just who to select. We have no midweek game next week. Who does Mauricio leave out to accommodate Kane? All of the front four without Kane have been in great form. One option might be to play Eriksen behind Lamela, Dele, Son and Kane, beside Dier or Wanyama. Does Toby Alderweireld get a game? Which full backs will play? We'll find out tomorrow! I have gone for a moderate winning prediction of 2-0, but another big winning score would not surprise me! COME ON YOU SPURS!
This week, the referee and fourth official reverse their roles of last week at Stamford Bridge. Graham Scott is still relatively new to the Premier League, but has had charge of two big wins by Spurs this season. They were the 3-0 away win against Everton, and the 5-2 home win against Southampton.
Did you know? - Our first Premier League game against Stoke was Juande Ramos's last league game in charge of Spurs. Ramos took charge of a 2-0 defeat against Udinese the following Thursday, but after that game (and 2 points from 8 games!) Harry Redknapp was appointed as Spurs' head coach.
· Tottenham set to heap more misery on sorry Stoke
· "It was Twenty Years ago today!" - a match by match review of the 1997/98 season. It was not a good year!
Top of page | Index to 2017-18 Match Reports