Spurs Odyssey Banner

24 years of archives at Spurs Odyssey

Main Page
News and views from Paul Smith, and links to the interactive features of the Spurs Odyssey Site. [more..]
Articles, reports, views, opinions, comments and other features all related to Spurs. [more..]

Match Reports
Declan's "Last Five", 13.09.01

Here is Declan Mulcahy's "Last Five"


P  W  D  L  F  A
4  4  0  0 11  4

Played in all four games, Tottenham: Nil

Up until this season the second round of the Worthington Cup was played over two legs. In this preview I am focussing on the home games which have occurred during those two leg games since Spurs are at home to Torquay this year in the second round. There have only been four second round games in the last five years since Spurs received a bye into the third round in the 1999-2000 season since they were playing in the UEFA Cup. Following are the details of the last four games.

Tuesday 26 September 2000
Worthington Cup Second Round Second Leg

Tottenham Hotspur (0) 2
Leonhardsen 53, Iversen 81
Brentford (0) 0
Spurs win 2-0 on aggregate

Tottenham Hotspur (4-3-3):
N Sullivan; S Carr, C Perry, R Vega, B Thatcher; S Freund, T Sherwood (capt), O Leonhardsen; S Rebrov, L Ferdinand (J Dominguez 71), S Iversen
Subs not used: I Walker, A Thelwell, G Doherty, S Clemence

Brentford (4-4-2):
O Gottskalksson; J Crowe, S Marshall, I Ingimarsson, R Quinn; M Rowlands (Williams 65), P Evans (capt), G Mahon, A Folan; S Partridge, L Pinamonte (M Dobson 73)
Subs not used: P Smith, G Graham, D Theobald
Booked: L Pinamonte

Attendance: 26,909
Referee: A. Butler (Sutton-in-Ashfield)

Managers: George Graham (Tottenham), Ron Noades (Brentford)

This was the second leg of a two legged tie against Second Division Brentford. The first leg resulted in a 0-0 draw.

The first half was dull as Spurs were too cautious. Despite that they did have some opportunities. Early on Iversen tried a 25 yard shot which the goalkeeper saved. In the 11th minute Iversen had a header cleared off the goal line after a Rebrov corner.

Iversen had several other chances but could not score. At the other end Brentford had a couple of opportunities including one where Pinamonte made a run from the half way line pursued by Perry who eventually brought him down but the referee waved away Brentford's penalty appeals.

Spurs improved in the second half. They finally scored eight minutes after the interval. Sherwood headed the ball into the Brentford penalty area. Leonhardsen reacted quicker than the Brentford defenders and beat the goalkeeper with a shot.

Then Rebrov and Sherwood set up Iversen who had only the goalkeeper to beat but failed to do so.

In the 71st minute Dominguez replaced Ferdinand. Spurs switched from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 and the latter formation seemed to suit them better. Ten minutes later Spurs scored their second goal. Carr made ground down the right before crossing to Leonhardsen in the box. He had difficulty in controlling the ball but got in a shot. The ball rebounded to Iversen who seemed not to react for a moment before scoring from close range.

Wednesday 23 September 1998
Football League Cup, Second Round, Second Leg

Tottenham Hotspur (1) 3
Nielsen 24, Campbell 46, Armstrong 53;
Brentford (1) 2
Scott 1, Owusu 74.
Spurs win 6-4 on aggregate

Tottenham (4-4-2):
H Segers; S Carr, C Calderwood, S Campbell (capt), J Edinburgh; R Fox, A Nielsen, S Clemence (M Gower 81), D Anderton; C Armstrong, D Ginola (J Dominguez 63).
Subs Not Used: E Baardsen, N Berti, R Vega.
Booked: A Nielsen, D Ginola.

Brentford (3-5-2):
J Pearcey; D Powell, J Bates, R Quinn; D Boxall, C Oatway (K Rapley 71), W Aspinall, M Rowlands, I Anderson; D Freeman (L Owusu 59), A Scott (A Folan 71), .
Subs Not Used: Hebel, P Watson.
Booked: D Boxall, I Anderson.

Attendance: 22,980
Referee: A Wiley (Burntwood).

Managers: David Pleat (Tottenham), Ron Noades (Brentford)

This was the second leg of a two legged tie against Third Division Brentford. Spurs won the first leg 3-2.

David Pleat was still acting manager for Spurs after Christian Gross's sacking. However there were by now strong rumours that George Graham would be the next manager.

Goalkeeping coach Hans Segers played in goal for Spurs as neither Ian Walker and Espen Baardsen were considered match fit. However Espen Baardsen recovering from the flu was able to sit on the bench as a substitute. In practice the crowd was probably smaller than the official attendance of 22,980.

Brentford surprised Spurs by taking the lead in the opening minute of the game. Oatway the Brentford midfielder sent a long ball to Andy Scott. Calderwood was behind him and covering but allowed the Brentford forward to round him. Scott then scored with a powerful shot.

In the eleventh minute Segers had to tip a shot from Rowlands over the bar and soon after Campbell headed narrowly wide from a Ginola free kick. The equaliser came just after the half way point in the first half after good work by Ginola and Fox. Armstong had a shot which was saved and the ball rebounded to Nielsen on the edge of the six yard box who fired home the equaliser between the goalkeeper's legs.

Spurs confidence increased after taking the lead. Armstrong suffered a head wound and had to go off for a few minutes to receive stitches but he was able to continue. Ginola was booked for a late tackle on Oatway just before half time.

Spurs were more effective in the second half and added to their lead almost immediately. Ginola had a shot after good work by Campbell and Fox. The goalkeeper got to the ball but could only deflect it to Sol Campbell who scored with a header.

In the 53rd minute Spurs extended their lead. Nielsen had a shot after a short corner, as the Brentford defenders were moving out. Nielsen may have been offside when he shot but the referee allowed play to continue. The ball rebounded off the post and left Armstrong with a simple opportunity which he did not miss.

With a comfortable lead Spurs relaxed a little. After a Spurs attack broke down Brentford countered quickly. Rapley crossed from the right wing. Calderwood was there but failed to deal with the ball. Lloyd Owusu had an easy opportunity from close range and reduced the deficit.

Mark Gower came on as a substitute for the last ten minutes and looked quite useful.

Wednesday, September 17th, 1997
Coca-Cola Cup 2nd Round 1st Leg

Tottenham Hotspur (1) 3,
Fenn 1, Fox 73, Mahorn 78
Carlisle United (2) 2.
Couzens 40, Aspinall 45

Tottenham Hotspur :
I Walker; J Scales, S Campbell, G Mabbutt (capt), J Edinburgh; D Howells, S Clemence, A Neilsen, D Ginola; N Fenn (P Mahorn, 47), J Dominguez.
Substitutes Not used : C Calderwood, S Carr.
Booked : R Clemence, J Dominguez.

Carlisle United :
T Caig; B Barr, W Varty, S Pounewatchy, O Archdeacon, E Harrison (S Dobie, 69), A Couzens, W Aspinall, M Jansen, R Prokas, G McAlindon.
Substitutes Not used : R Milligan, R Bowman.
Booked : W Varty.

Attendance : 19,255.
Referee : Mr G Ashby (Worcester).

Managers: Gerry Francis (Tottenham), Michael Knighton (Carlisle)

Spurs opened the scoring in the first minute through Neale Fenn when Carlisle were slow to react.

Thereafter Spurs started making mistakes, Campbell, in particular having an error prone game.

Carlisle equalised after 40 minutes when Gareth McAlindon crossed and Andy Couzens volleyed home. Worse was to come just before half time. Tony Caig the Carlisle goalkeeper made a long kick down the centre of the pitch. The Spurs back four all ignored the ball on the assumption that it would reach Walker. However Warren Aspinall beat him to the ball and put Carlisle 2-1 up. The crowd started to call for Francis's head and the team was booed off the pitch at half time.

Spurs emerged after half time looking more determined. Within two minutes the unfortunate Neale Fenn injured his shoulder and had to be carried off. He was replaced by another reserve Paul Mahorn who worked energetically for the rest of the game.

Nielsen found himself in possession three yards from the goal with the goalkeeper stranded but mis-kicked. Shortly afterwards Fox brought the scores level with a fine solo goal in the 73rd minute.

Five minutes later Ginola had a fine run down the left wing before sending over a perfect cross from which Mahorn headed the winning goal.

After that Spurs held on to their lead without trying to extend it. Overall Carlisle gave the more spirited performance. Spurs won the return leg 2-0 at Carlisle to go through to the next round 5-2 on aggregate.

Wednesday 25 September 1996
Coca-Cola Cup, Second Round, Second Leg

Tottenham Hotspur (1) 3
Anderton 31, Allen 62, 76
Preston North End (0) 0
[Tottenham won on aggregate, 4-1]

Tottenham (4-4-2):
I Walker; S Carr, C Calderwood, S Campbell, C Wilson; R Fox, D Anderton (A Neilsen 41), D Howells, A Sinton; E Sheringham (capt), R Allen.
Subs Not Used: S Nethercott, E Baardsen.
Booked: R Allen.

Preston (4-4-2):
R Mimms; J Kay, R Wilcox, R Kidd, D Barrick; S Davey, G Atkinson, M Rankine (N McDonald 29), K Kilbane; M Holt, A Saville.
Subs Not Used: J Squires, R Sharp.
Booked: S Davey.

Attendance: 20,080
Referee: P Danson (Leicestershire)

Managers: Gerry Francis (Tottenham), Gary Peters (Preston)

Spurs had drawn the first leg 1-1 away against Second Division Preston. At this point Spurs were going through a bad patch although they were twelfth in the Premiership. Both wins to date had been away from home and their home record was: won none drew two lost two. This was Spurs first home win since March although they made heavy weather of it.

Stephen Carr was playing one of his first games for Spurs and impressed. In goal for Preston was Bobby Mimms, a former Spurs goalkeeper who did not enjoy the best of form during his stay at WHL. Teddy Sheringham returned for Spurs after missing five games through injury.

Preston were first to attack when Michael Holt burst through the Spurs back line but his shot was miles off target.

Tottenham countered. Howells had a shot from twenty yards out but Mimms dived full length to prevent a goal.

Spurs took the lead after half an hour. Anderton and Fox played a one-two before Anderton beat Mimms with a low hard shot. Shortly afterwards Anderton had an opportunity to increase the lead from a Sheringham cross. However in fairness he received the ball at an awkward angle at chest height. After 41 minutes Anderton departed limping with a knee injury and was replaced by Nielsen.

Spurs were controlling the game. However they could have been brought back level after an hour. Davey found himself with the ball in the Spurs penalty area. He shot weakly and the moment passed. However there were three better positioned Preston players in the box had he elected to pass.

Almost immediately Spurs won a corner. Fox took it and chaos ensued in the Preston box. The ball was finally forced over the goal line. Sheringham appeared to be claiming it although the goal was ultimately credited to Rory Allen.

Spurs were now in the ascendancy. Allen lobbed goalkeeper Mimms only to see Wilcox clear off the line. However from another Fox corner, Howells headed the ball into the goal area and Allen tucked it into the net.

Spurs won yet another corner which Fox took. Howells headed the ball into the packed goalmouth and Allen deflected the ball home. Spurs won 4-1 on aggregate.

Top of page | Back to Fixtures and Results

Last season's match
Read the full report of the corresponding fixture from last season here
Brian Judson's Preview
Read Brian Judson's Nostalgia and preview of the game here
Fixtures, appearances, current league table, form guide, reserves fixtures, and Spurs Honours. [more..]
Find match reports, appearances, goalscorers and features from previous seasons. [more..]
Pick of the Week
Every week we select a Spurs related site from the whole world wide web and highlight it in this section. [more..]
View a comprehensive list of links to other Spurs related sites. (With a few extras) [more..]
About this site
Site Owner
Paul Smith

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Full details van be found via the Spurs Odyssey Privacy Policy