Consent Preferences Spurs Odyssey - Declan's Last 5 - Sunderland Away (Written September 2001)
Spurs Odyssey Banner

Over 25 years of archives at Spurs Odyssey

Main Page
News and views from Paul Smith, and links to the interactive features of the Spurs Odyssey Site. [more..]
Articles, reports, views, opinions, comments and other features all related to Spurs. [more..]

Match Reports
Declan's "Last Five", 19.09.01

Here is Declan Mulcahy's "Last Five"


P  W  D  L  F  A
3  2  0  1  8  4

Played in all three games, Tottenham: Carr, Sunderland: None

There have only been three games in the last five years as Sunderland spent the 1997-98 and 1998-99 seasons in Division 1. Spurs record is reasonably good as they have won two of the three games. Iversen scored his first hat-trick for Spurs in the game five seasons ago. Following are the details of the last three games.

Saturday 14 April 2001
Sunderland (2) 2
Kilbane 3, Quinn 12
Tottenham Hotspur (0) 3
Clemence 52, Doherty 75, 88

Sunderland (4-4-2):
T Sorensen; P Carteron, E Thome, J Craddock, M Gray (capt); J Arca, D Hutchison, S Schwarz, K Kilbane; K Phillips, N Quinn (D Williams 67).
Substitutes not used: J Macho, P Thirlwell, T Butler, S Varga.
Booked: J Arca (86).

Tottenham Hotspur (3-5-2 changed to 4-4-2 in the second half):
N Sullivan; L Young, C Perry, L King (A Gardner 20); S Carr, S Davies (J Piercy 85), T Sherwood (capt) , O Leonhardsen (W Korsten 46), S Clemence; S Rebrov, G Doherty.
Substitutes not used: I Walker, A Thelwell.
Booked: G Doherty (14), L Young (86).

Attendance: 48,029
Referee: D. R. Elleray (Harrow-on-the-Hill)

Managers: Glenn Hoddle (Tottenham), Peter Reid (Sunderland)

This was Glenn Hoddle's second league game in charge of Spurs. At half time Spurs were 2-0 down and looked as though they were destined to lose. However Spurs recovered magnificently in the second half to win 3-2. With this defeat Sunderland had won only once in ten games.

Spurs fell behind after only three minutes. Quinn started the move by passing Hutchison. He supplied Carteron who was lying wide. The latter crossed to Kilbane who was standing unmarked at the back post. Kilbane had an easy chance to score with his left foot.

King was injured in a clash of heads with Kilbane but remained on the pitch. After twelve minutes Spurs conceded a free kick on the edge of the penalty area on the right hand side. Hutchison set up Schwarz who let fly with a cracking shot which Sullivan reached but could not hold. The ball fell to Quinn who made no mistake with his shot from an acute angle.

Gardner replaced the injured King after 20 minutes. Spurs gradually came more into the game by slowing it down, Sherwood being prominent. They did not concede any more goals in the first half. Spurs had only one opportunity in the first half. But Davies cross was deflected for a corner from which Spurs did threaten.

At half time Hoddle made a tactical substitution replacing Leonhardsen by Korsten and switching from 3-5-2 to 4-4-2. Korsten had a fine game on the left wing. Mean while Sherwood and Clemence were much more effective for Spurs in the centre of midfield in the second half.

Spurs scored their first goal seven minutes after the interval. Korsten had a fine run on the left before moving inside and supplying Carr on the right. Carr passed to Davies who crossed for Clemence and Clemence side footed home the goal.

After this goal Spurs began to dominate. Another run from Korsten resulted in a corner. After 66 minutes Doherty should have equalised when he had a free header at the far post following a Clemence free kick but he headed wide. Then Korsten hit a hard shot which brought the best out of Sunderland goalkeeper Sorenson. However Sunderland had an opportunity when Sullivan made a fine save from Arca.

Spurs equalised with fifteen minutes to go. Gardner started the move before Sherwood sent a powerful header to Doherty. Doherty ran forty yards towards the Sunderland goal pursued by Emerson Thome before steering the ball past Sorenson to bring Spurs level.

Phillips had a chance to win the game for Sunderland when he found himself alone in the Spurs penalty area but Sullivan dived to save from him.

Then Spurs won the game with two minutes to go. Rebrov set up Young on the left who found Korsten. Korsten had another fine run but stumbled as he entered the penalty area and looked as though he might lose the ball. He regained his composure before sliding the ball to Doherty who scored from three yards.

Sunday 31 October, 1999
Sunderland (2) 2
Quinn 10, 21
Tottenham Hotspur (0) 1
Iversen 63

Sunderland (4-4-2):
T Sorensen; C Makin, P Butler, S Bould (capt), M Gray; N Summerbee (D Williams 87), G McCann, E Roy (K Ball 73), S Schwarz; N Quinn, K Phillips (D Dichio 61).
Substitutes not used: A Marriott, A Rae.

Tottenham Hotspur (4-4-2):
I Walker; S Carr, R Vega, S Campbell (capt), M Taricco; O Leonhardsen (T Sherwood 78), S Freund, S Clemence, D Ginola (J Dominguez 46); S Iversen, J Piercy (C Perry 46).
Substitutes not used: E Baardsen, R Fox.
Booked: M Taricco, S Campbell, S Iversen.

Attendance: 41,904
Referee: M Riley (Leeds)

Managers: George Graham (Tottenham), Peter Reid (Sunderland)

Sunderland won thanks to two goals from Niall Quinn. Spurs had played Kaiserslautern at home in the UEFA Cup three days previously and were due to play the return away leg four days later. As a result George Graham rested Chris Perry and Tim Sherwood and brought in Stephen Clemence and John Piercy. This was Spurs first visit to Sunderland's new ground The Stadium of Light.

Spurs played poorly in the first half but responded strongly in the second half. While they scored one goal they could not equalise. Sol Campbell had a poor game being given a torrid time by the Sunderland strikers. He was responible for Sunderland's first goal and missed an opportunity to equalise later in the game.

Sunderland's who were unbeaten in nine league games moved to third position in the Premiership. It was Peter Reid's 100th win as Sunderland manager.

There was lots of action in the opening minutes. Ginola set up Iversen after five minutes but his shot was blocked. Vega brought down Phillips on the edge of the penalty area but the referee dismissed Sunderland's appeal for a penalty. Then Iversen was one on one with the Sunderland goalkeeper after being sent clear by Carr, but Sorenson saved.

Sunderland opened the scoring after ten minutes. Gray crossed from the left. Campbell tried to head the ball but missed. The ball fell to Quinn who controlled it first before shooting into the net.

After twenty one minutes Sunderland increased their lead with Quinn again scoring. He chested down a cross on the right by McCann before volloying home a fierce shot. Then Phillips beat Campbell to a long ball but Walker saved. Next Phillips was clear outside the area but Walker advanced and made a fine tackle from which Phillips required treatment.

Just before half time Piercy hit a high pass towards the Sunderland goal but Leonhardsen put the ball over the bar.

Spurs made a couple of substitutions at half time which resulted in Vega moving up front to replace Piercy. He won a free kick early in the second half but Clemence hit it over the bar.

Quinn could have added a third after beating Perry but the shot went wide with Walker attempting a diving save. Then Iversen set up Vega but his shot was blocked. Another Quinn effort went over the bar.

Quinn gave Campbell a tough game. Phillips had to be substituted after a Campbell tackle and Campbell was later booked for a tackle on Quinn. The Phillips injury had in fact been caused by Walker's earlier challenge.

Spurs pulled a goal back after 63 minutes. Leonhardsen sent a long ball to Vega. Vega crossed and Iversen side footed the ball home. Then Carr and Leonhardsen combined to leave Carr clear in the penalty area though out wide. As a result he tried to slide the ball across the goal to Vega who could not reach the it and the chance was wasted.

Sherwood replaced Leonhardsen who was injured. He tries to chip Sorenson with his first touch but the goalkeeper touched it. The ball ended up with Vega whose overhead kick fell to Campbell six yards out, but he scooped the ball over the bar.

Walker made a diving save from a Dichio shot which would have gone wide. Towards the end a Dominguez corner fell to Carr in the Sunderland penalty area but unfortunately his shot went wide.

Tuesday March 4, 1997
Sunderland (0) 0
Tottenham Hotspur (3) 4
Iversen 2, 9, 62, Nielsen 26.

Sunderland (3-5-2):
L Perez; G Hall, A Melville, R Ord; D Kelly, P Bracewell, A Rae, K Ball, D Kubicki (M Smith 70); J Mullin (M Bridges 70), C Russell.
Subs Not Used: D Preece, M Gray, L Howey.
Booked: R Ord.

Tottenham Hotspur (3-5-2):
I Walker; J Scales, C Calderwood, S Campbell; D Austin, D Anderton, D Howells, A Nielsen, C Wilson (S Carr 35); E Sheringham (capt), S Iversen.
Subs Not Used: E Baardsen, J Dozzell, R Rosenthal, R Allen.

Attendance: 20,785
Referee: M A Riley (Leeds).

Managers: Gerry Francis (Tottenham), Peter Reid (Sunderland)

This was Spurs last visit to Roker Park. They won fairly easily with Steffen Iversen scoring his first hat-trick for the club. Spurs scored three times in the first half an hour after which the result was never in doubt. It was Sunderland's heaviest home defeat of the season so far.

Both teams were out of form prior to this game. Spurs had gained only four points from the last eight games and this was only their second win in nine Premiership games. The defeat left Sunderland only four points above the relegation zone.

Spurs gave an outstanding display in the first half. They moved the ball around with skill and were fast on the counter attack. Iversen, in particular, had a great game.

Spurs opened the scoring in the second minute. Calderwood took a long free kick which caused confusion among the Sunderland defenders in their penalty area. Iversen picked up the loose ball and hooked it home.

After nine minutes Spurs went two ahead. Once again the move began with a Calderwood free kick. Then Sheringham flicked it on to Iversen had cleverly run into space. He lobbed the ball over Perez the Sunderland goalkeeeper to score.

Iversen could have completed his hat-trick in the first half. Iversen passed to Howells who then sent the ball wide to Anderton. The ball was then played to Nielsen who chipped the ball over the Sunderland defenders to Iversen. He volleyed narrowly over the bar. Iversen had a second opportunity which Perez managed to save with his legs. Perez also prevented Darren Anderton from scoring at the near post.

After twenty six minutes Spurs added a third goal. Sheringham and Iversen between them managed to fool the Sunderland defence before sending Nielsen clear. The Dane made no mistake in scoring.

Sunderland's best opportunity came when Walker fumbled a long range shot from Ord bit it did no go in.

Iversen completed his hat-trick after 62 minutes. He picked up a Sunderland clearance and unleashed a strong shot which beat Perez and flew into the top left corner of the net aided by a slight deflection.

Top of page | Back to Fixtures and Results

Last season's match
Read the full report of the corresponding fixture from last season here
Brian Judson's Preview
Read Brian Judson's Nostalgia and preview of the game here
Fixtures, appearances, current league table, form guide, reserves fixtures, and Spurs Honours. [more..]
Find match reports, appearances, goalscorers and features from previous seasons. [more..]
Pick of the Week
Every week we select a Spurs related site from the whole world wide web and highlight it in this section. [more..]
View a comprehensive list of links to other Spurs related sites. (With a few extras) [more..]
About this site
Site Owner
Paul Smith

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Full details van be found via the Spurs Odyssey Privacy Policy