Consent Preferences Spurs Odyssey Reserves Match report - Watford v Spurs, 1.02.2001
Spurs Odyssey Banner

Over 25 years of archives at Spurs Odyssey

Main Page
News and views from Paul Smith, and links to the interactive features of the Spurs Odyssey Site. [more..]
Articles, reports, views, opinions, comments and other features all related to Spurs. [more..]

Match Reports
Watford Reserves v Spurs Reserves , Feb 21 2001

Courtesy of:- Ray Lo, and the Spurs List

     F.A.Premier Reserve League - South
           Vicarage Road, Watford
   Wednesday 21st February 2001 k.o. 7.30pm 

           WATFORD    v      SPURS
        (Yellow/Red)      (White/Blue)
            3-4-3            3-4-3

             1(0)             2(1)

        Richard Lee   1  Ian Walker
          Tom Neill   2  Ian Hillier
   David Perpetuini   3  Andrew Burke
        James Okoll   4  Ciaran Toner
       Lloyd Doyley   5  Anthony Gardner
         Jerel Ifil   6  Destin Makumbu
       Sam Swonnell   7  John Piercy
  Stephen Armstrong   8  John Jackson
       Fabian Forde   9  Andy Booth
       Clint Easton  10  Steven Ferguson
           Lee Cook  11  Yannick Kamanan

    Barrie Matthews  12  Neale Fenn
          (2)45Mins      (9)78Mins
     Bradley Hughes  13  James Attwell
      Nick Williams  14  Maurizio Consorti
       Luke Edghill  15  James Quilter
    Elliott Godfrey  16  George Snee

Scorers - Kamanan 35, Ferguson 47, Okoll 83

Burke:- Dangerous play 36
Ferguson:- Kicking the ball away 50

Sent off:-
Piercy:- Foul and abusive language 88.

It was a pleasent evening for the crowd of 399 which included listees Bruce and Elaine, Greg and Paul Smith and Jeff Richardson. David Pleat was in the Directors' box right in front of us.

Spurs lined up with Hillier in the centre of defence, Makumbu on the right and Gardner on the left. Toner and Jackson played in front of them with Piercy on the right and Burke on the left. Booth was the target up front flanked by Ferguson and Kamanan.

Spurs had an interesting formation using Booth as the target and Ferguson and Kamanan operating down the channels. It did leave the midfield a little exposed as the Hornets pushed up their full backs onto our wingbacks in a crowded middle third. This led to a scrappy midfield battle with little flowing football and few chances. There were lots of niggly fouls and a number of injuries. Easton had to have a bandage on his head. Booth also had a knock to the head (all Spurs strikers seem to have it in their contract). Neill got a boot in the face which got Burke a caution for dangerous play.

Most of the attacking play in the first half came from the home side with Spurs tending to favour the more direct approach with our first corner coming after nearly half an hour. Spurs took the lead in the 35th minute when a diagonal ball from the left found Piercy arriving at the far post. His initial shot was blocked by Lee and came back out to him. This time his shot hit the bar and rebounded to Kamanan who made no mistake. Walker had a good game despite a few gaffs and held all the shots that came his way. (Ed - except the goal!)

Spurs by-passed the midfield more in the second half which created more chances for them and a second goal. Walker's long kick allowed Ferguson to get behind the defence and as the keeper came to meet him Ferguson nodded the ball wide of Lee to give himself a simple tap-in. This was the second game in which Walker can claim an assist for a goal.

Watford increased their work rate and pushed men forward looking to get back in and Walker had to save a number of efforts including a couple of drives from Cook. With Okoll and Ifil mopping up many of the long balls coming at them Spurs, were content to sit back allowing them to push forward, trying to hit them on the break.

Watford did not resort to long balls prefering to pass their way through the midfield. They were rewarded with a goal in the 83rd minute. A free kick was flighted to the far post where Okoll's powered header was too strong for Walker to hold.

Spurs held on, despite losing Piercy, for disputing a throw-in, to take the points. The ref seemed more concerned with petty things like correct placement of the ball for throw-ins and free kicks than with the physical nature of the tackling from both sides although he did blow-up for a lot of the pushing and other niggly things that produced a rather stop-go game. Our next match is at St.Albans on the 6th March when we play Charlton.


Top of page | Back to Reserve Team Fixtures and Results
Fixtures, appearances, current league table, form guide, reserves fixtures, and Spurs Honours. [more..]
Find match reports, appearances, goalscorers and features from previous seasons. [more..]
Pick of the Week
Every week we select a Spurs related site from the whole world wide web and highlight it in this section. [more..]
View a comprehensive list of links to other Spurs related sites. (With a few extras) [more..]
About this site
Site Owner
Paul Smith

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Full details van be found via the Spurs Odyssey Privacy Policy