Consent Preferences Spurs Odyssey - Declan's Last 5 - Chelsea (Home)
Spurs Odyssey Banner

Over 25 years of archives at Spurs Odyssey

Main Page
News and views from Paul Smith, and links to the interactive features of the Spurs Odyssey Site. [more..]
Articles, reports, views, opinions, comments and other features all related to Spurs. [more..]

Match Reports
Declan's "Last Five", 16.09.01

Here is Declan Mulcahy's "Last Five"


P  W  D  L  F  A
5  0  1  4  4 14

Played in all five games, Tottenham: Carr, Chelsea: Wise

Spurs have an absolutely dreadful record recently against Chelsea having lost four of the last five home league games conceding fourteen goals. Spurs last beat Chelsea at home in a league game during the 1987-88 season and have failed to win any of the twelve home games since. The last time Spurs beat Chelsea in a league game was at Stamford Bridge in February 1990. They have not won any of the twenty two league games since. Statistically the sequence should end soon. At least Gus Poyet who has scored for Chelsea in two out of the last three games at WHL won't be in the Chelsea team! Following are the details of the last five games.

Tuesday April 17 2001
Tottenham Hotspur (0) 0
Chelsea (1) 3
Hasselbaink 29, Poyet 60, Gudjohnsen 90

Tottenham Hotspur (4-4-2):
N Sullivan; S Carr, C Perry (A Gardner 38), A Thelwell, L Young; W Korsten, T Sherwood (capt), S Clemence (M Etherington 83), S Davies (J Piercy 75); S Rebrov, G Doherty.
Substitutes not used: I Walker, O Leonhardsen.
Booked: W Korsten (34), G Doherty (74).
Sent off: W Korsten (45).

Chelsea (4-4-2):
C Cudicini; M Melchiot, J Terry, M Desailly, C Babayaro; G Poyet (M Stanic 76), S Dalla Bona, D Wise (capt), G Le Saux (J Gronkjaer 67); G Zola (E Gudjohnsen 78), J F Hasselbaink. Substitutes not used: E de Goey, S Jokanovic.
Booked: M Desailly (13), C Babayaro (54).

Attendance: 36,074
Referee: G. Barber (Tring)

Managers: Glenn Hoddle (Tottenham), Claudio Ranieri (Aston Villa)

This was Glenn Hoddle's third league game in charge played on the Easter weekend. However he was never going to end the jinx against his old club with an injury weakened team.

Spurs had an early opportunity after two minutes when Simon Davies picked up a long throw at the near post and hooked the ball across the goal but after that it was mainly one-way traffic in Chelsea's favour. Chelsea's first chance came when Hasselbaink crossed for Wise to shoot but Sullivan saved.

After 25 minutes Korsten lost the ball to Poyet who set up Hasselbaink but the latter shot over the bar. Four minutes later Carr conceded a corner. From Wise's corner, Hasselbaink got in a powerful header at the near post. While Sullivan succeeded in touching it he could not prevent it entering the net.

Chelsea were now dominating in midfield. In the course of a Chelsea attack in the 35th minute, Chris Perry made a last ditch intervention but injured his knee and had to be stretchered off with Gardner coming on as a replacement. Chelsea came close a couple of more times before the interval. Spurs' misery was complete in the 45th minute when Willem Korsten was sent off for a second bookable offence in the space of ten minutes. Both tackles were clumsy rather than nasty. The sending off ended the game as a contest.

On the hour Le Saux crossed strongly to the far post and Poyet slid the ball into an empty net.

Rebrov had one attempt at goal which was saved by Cudicini but most of the traffic was at the other end with Sullivan keeping Chelsea at bay. However in injury time Hasselbaink set up Eidur Gudjohnsen who beat Sullivan to complete the scoring.

Saturday 5 February 2000
Tottenham Hotspur (0) 0
Chelsea (0) 1
Lambourde 52.

Tottenham Hotspur (4-4-2):
I Walker; S Carr, C Perry, S Campbell (capt), M Taricco; D Anderton (A Nielsen 86), T Sherwood, S Clemence, D Ginola; C Armstrong, S Iversen (W Korsten 80).
Substitutes not used: E Baardsen, J Scales, L Young.

Chelsea (4-4-2):
E de Goey; B Lambourde, E Thome, M Desailly, J Harley; D Petrescu (J Morris 84), D Deschamps, D Wise (capt), G Poyet; C Sutton (T A Flo 77), G Weah. Substitutes not used: C Cudicini, F Leboeuf, G Zola.
Booked: G Poyet.

Attendance: 36,041
Referee: G Poll (Tring)

Managers: George Graham (Tottenham), Gianluca Vialli (Chelsea)

Chelsea won yet again. Spurs could have drawn the game had they stirred themselves before the last twenty minutes.

Chelsea had the first opportunity when Weah forced a save from Walker after being set up by Wise and turning Perry. Soon after Lambourde fouled Ginola. Anderton sent a long free kick into the penalty area where Armstrong's header was just over.

Then after good work by Wise, Weah and Sutton, Walker made a fine save from Sutton. Armstrong and Clemence combined to set up Anderton. His low shot was just wide.

Spurs had a chance early in the second half when they were awarded a free kick for a foul on Ginola but Carr's low free kick was not on target.

Then came the movement on which the game turned. Campbell fouled Sutton. From the resultant free kick about 25 yards out, Wise lobbed it over the wall and Lambourde was allowed enough time to chip the ball over Walker in the Spurs goal and score.

A few minutes later Weah went down in the Spurs penalty area but referee Poll dismissed Chelsea's penalty appeal. After 66 minutes Wise set up Sutton from another free kick but the forward put the ball over the bar.

Spurs lifted their game for the last 20 minutes in an effort to draw level. Carr in particular sending in some good crosses. From one Armstrong had a shot blocked and then Iversen headed over.

Carr, Sherwood and Armstrong combined to set up Iversen. de Goey could only push his shot out again and the ball fell to Ginola. His shot flashed across the goal but there was no one there to finish it.

Spurs had one final opportunity when Armstrong headed over from a Carr cross.

Monday 10th May, 1999
Tottenham Hotspur (1) 2
Iversen 38, Ginola 64.
Chelsea (1) 2
Poyet 4, Goldbaek 72.

Tottenham Hotspur (4-4-2):
I Walker; S Carr, J Scales, S Campbell (capt), M Taricco; D Anderton, S Freund (S Clemence 82), T Sherwood, D Ginola (J Dominguez 87); C Armstrong, S Iversen.
Subs not used: E Baardsen, A Sinton, L King.
Booked: J Dominguez.

Chelsea (4-4-2):
K Hitchcock; A Ferrer, M Desailly, F Leboeuf, G Le Saux; D Petrescu (B Goldbaek 65), D Wise, J Morris (R Di Matteo 65), G Poyet; G Zola (M Forssell 54) T A Flo, .
Subs not used: E De Goey, M Duberry.
Booked: A Ferrer, M Desailly, G Poyet, R Di Matteo.

Attendance: 35,878
Referee: D Elleray (Harrow on the Hill)

Managers: George Graham (Tottenham), Gianluca Vialli (Chelsea)

This was Spurs second last game of the season. The team gave a fine display and were a little unlucky only to draw with Chelsea's equaliser coming from a spectacular strike. John Scales made his first appearance for almost six months. By only drawing Chelsea's championship challenge was finished.

Spurs had the first chance when Iversen set up Ginola who cut in from the left and shot just wide. Chelsea scored with their first attack which resulted from a well worked free kick by Wise and Zola. The ball was crossed into the six yard box where Walker was caught in no man's land. Although Iversen was covering Poyet the latter headed home to open the scoring after four minutes.

Despite this setback Spurs did not give up. Sherwood passed to Carr who set up Iversen. His shot was saved. Iversen had another shot saved after good work on the right by Anderton and Carr. Then Carr passed to Iversen who had his back to the goal. He spun and shot in one movement but the ball went over the bar.

At the other end Flo was fairly active and applying pressure to both Taricco and Scales.

Spurs equaliser came after thirty eight minutes. Following a short corner from Anderton, Ginola crossed into the six yard box and Iversen slotted the ball home into the bottom corner of the net. Flo had a couple of opportunities before half time but Walker saved both times.

Poyet had a chance around the hour mark from a Petrescu cross but headed directly to Walker. Then in the Chelsea area Leboeuf made a poor clearance and gave the ball to Ginola. He went past Desailly before hitting a powerful shot to the bottom left corner to put Spurs ahead after 64 minutes.

Eight minutes later Spurs failed to clear properly and the ball fell to Goldbaek thirty yards out and he scored with a spectacular shot to level the score. A few minutes later he tried another long range effort but could not repeat his earlier effort.

Spurs came close when Anderton crossed for Iversen to head the ball. Hitchcock saved it with his feet behind the goal line but the ball clearly did not cross the line. Carr set up Sherwood whose shot went over. Then after an Iversen shot was blocked Anderton shot over. In the closing stages Desailly could have been sent off after fouling Taricco having previously been booked.

Saturday 6 December 1997
Tottenham Hotspur (1) 1
Vega 43.
Chelsea (1) 6
Flo 40, 63, 90; Di Matteo 48; Petrescu 59; Nicholls, 78.

Tottenham Hotspur (4-4-2):
I Walker; S Carr, J Scales (R Allen 70min), R Vega, C Wilson; R Fox, A Nielsen (D Anderton 59), C Calderwood (capt), A Sinton (J Edinburgh 56); D Ginola, L Ferdinand.
Substitutes not used : E Baardsen, G Mabbutt.

Chelsea (4-4-2):
E de Goey; F Sinclair, F Leboeuf, M Duberry, C Babayaro (M Nicholls 18); D Petrescu, D Wise, R di Matteo, G Le Saux; G Zola, T A Flo.
Substitutes not used : K Hitchcock, G Vialli, M Hughes, A Myers.
Booked : Di Matteo.

Referee : Mr D J Gallagher (Oxfordshire).
Attendance : 28,476.

Managers: Christian Gross (Tottenham), Ruud Gullit (Chelsea)

This was Christian Gross's first home game as manager and Colin Calderwood captained the side for the first time in the absence of the injured Sol Campbell. At half time the score was fairly satisfactory at 1-1. However by the end of game Spurs had crashed to a 6-1 defeat their worst result at home since the 1934-35 season.

Spurs played well in the first half and could have led by two goals but de Goey made two fine saves from Ginola. The first opportunity coming from a cross by Fox in the second minute. After 11 minutes Spurs unsuccessfully appealed for a penalty after Babayaro brought down Fox.

Midway through the first half Walker had to make a reaction save from a Leboeuf save. De Goey then made a similarly instinctive save from Ginola. Chelsea open the scoring after forty minutes when Zola crossed and Flo beat Scales to open the scoring with a header. However three minutes later Spurs drew level. Sinton was fouled and took the resultant free kick from which Vega headed home.

Within a couple of minutes of the second half Chelsea regained the lead when Zola set up Petrescu who crossed and Di Matteo stooped to head home. Spurs did not give up and sought an equaliser but found de Goey in fine form. Then Sinton was injured and went off to be replaced by Edinburgh in midfield.

After 59 minutes Chelsea attacked opening Spurs offside trap. Leboeuf chipped the ball to Petrescu and though under pressure from Edinburgh scored Chelsea's third. After this the Spurs heads began to drop.

Four minutes later Flo made it 4-1 after a one-two between Zola and Flo. In the 78th minute a Spurs throw-in was directed to Calderwood who failed to gather it. The ball fell to Zola who set up Nicholls who scored with a shot.

Thereafter Chelsea moved the ball around with ease. Flo completed his hat-trick in the last minute. Leboeuf set him up with a long pass and Flo chipped the ball over Walker to complete the humiliation.

Saturday 1 February 1997
Tottenham Hotspur (0) 1
Howells 83
Chelsea (1) 2.
Campbell o.g. 1, Di Matteo 53

Tottenham Hotspur (3-5-2):
I Walker; D Austin, S Campbell, S Nethercott (C Wilson 80); S Carr (D Anderton 55), D Howells, A Nielsen, A Sinton, J Edinburgh (R Fox 71); R Allen, S Iversen.
Substitutes not used : E Baardsen, R Rosenthal.
Booked: J Edinburgh, D Anderton

Chelsea (3-5-2):
K Hitchcock; F Leboeuf, S Clarke, F Sinclair; D Petrescu, D Wise, E Newton, R di Matteo, S Minto; G Zola (E Johnsen 88), M Hughes.
Substitutes not used : F Grodas, G Vialli, P Hughes, A Myers.
Booked: F Sinclair, E Newton, S Minto

Attendance : 33,027.
Referee : Mr P E Alcock (Redhill).

Managers: Gerry Francis (Tottenham), Ruud Gullit (Chelsea)

Chelsea had the better of this contest against an injury weakened Spurs team. Indeed Spurs fell behind after 50 seconds. Nethercott conceded a free kick just outside the penalty area. Zola chipped the ball over the Spurs wall to Newton who was located by the far post. He set up Hughes by heading the ball to him. Hughes' shot first struck Walker then cannoned off Campbell before going into the net.

Spurs then won a few corners but did not make any impression. Allen in particular was struggling.

Chelsea went two up after 53 minutes. Newton supplied Di Matteo who sent a flying shot from 30 yards out which went high into the top corner of the net..

In the 83rd minute Spurs pulled one back after Howells headed a goal from an Anderton cross from the right. Spurs had one more chance before the end but could not make it count.

Top of page | Back to Fixtures and Results

Last season's match
Read the full report of the corresponding fixture from last season here
Brian Judson's Preview
Read Brian Judson's Nostalgia and preview of the game here
Fixtures, appearances, current league table, form guide, reserves fixtures, and Spurs Honours. [more..]
Find match reports, appearances, goalscorers and features from previous seasons. [more..]
Pick of the Week
Every week we select a Spurs related site from the whole world wide web and highlight it in this section. [more..]
View a comprehensive list of links to other Spurs related sites. (With a few extras) [more..]
About this site
Site Owner
Paul Smith

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Full details van be found via the Spurs Odyssey Privacy Policy