Consent Preferences Spurs Odyssey - Declan's Last 5 - Liverpool (Away)
Spurs Odyssey Banner

Over 25 years of archives at Spurs Odyssey

Main Page
News and views from Paul Smith, and links to the interactive features of the Spurs Odyssey Site. [more..]
Articles, reports, views, opinions, comments and other features all related to Spurs. [more..]

Match Reports
Declan's "Last Five", 22.09.01

Here is Declan Mulcahy's "Last Five"


P  W  D  L  F  A
5  0  0  5  4  14

Played in all five games, Tottenham: None, Liverpool: None

Spurs have an awful record recently at Anfield have lost the last five Premiership games there. However when you read the match reports below you will see that Spurs have been unlucky to lose some of these games. In particular during the 1998-99 season Spurs were leading when the unjustified sending off of Taricco turned the game on its head. Four of these five games have taken place late in the season. Spurs have conceded penalties in two of the last three games. Following are the details of the last five games.

Sunday 22 April 2001
Liverpool (1) 3
Heskey 6, McAllister 72p, Fowler 88
Tottenham Hotspur (1) 1
Korsten 23

Liverpool (4-4-2):
S Westerveld; M Babbel, S Henchoz, S Hyypia (capt), J Carragher (G Vignal 64); V Smicer (D Hamann 53), S Gerrard, G McAllister, P Berger; M Owen, E Heskey (R Fowler 39).
Substitutes not used: D Murphy, P Arphexad.
Booked: G Vignal (77).

Tottenham Hotspur (4-1-4-1)
N Sullivan; S Carr, A Gardner, A Thelwell, L Young; T Sherwood (capt); W Korsten, S Davies (J Piercy 75), S Clemence, O Leonhardsen; G Doherty.
Substitutes not used: I Hillier, M Etherington, S Ferguson, I Walker.
Booked: S Clemence (72).

Attendance: 43,547
Referee: B. Knight (Orpington)

Managers: Glenn Hoddle (Tottenham), Gerard Houllier (Liverpool)

This was Liverpool's eighth game in 23 days. Due to injuries Spurs fielded a very young team. Although Liverpool scored early Spurs drew level and it was only in the last twenty minutes that Liverpool went ahead, the goal which restored their lead coming from a questionable penalty.

Liverpool took the initiative from the start. From a Liverpool corner Sullivan saved a Hyppia header. Liverpool went ahead after six minutes. Berger sent a through ball which Heskey got to before Thelwell. He slid the ball past Sullivan to open the scoring. Next Smicer cut inside from the right and took a low shot when went to Sullivan's left but the goalkeeper saved.

Liverpool continued to apply pressure. Gerrard gathered a poorly taken free kick from Clemence and went past Thelwell. He passed to Owen located on the left of the area. Sullivan deflected his shot and had to make another save from Gerrard who was following up. Liverpool put the ball in the net after Babbel sent a long cross to Berger and his cross shot was headed in by Owen. However Owen was ruled offside.

Immediately after the disallowed goal Spurs equalised in the 23rd minute against the run of play. Sullivan sent a long free kick to Leonhardsen on the left. He crossed to Korsten who controlled the ball and went around Berger before beating Westerveld

Then McAllister set up Owen who shot wide. After 35 minutes Gerrard and McAllister combined. Gerrard shot and with Sullivan beaten a Spurs defender managed to stick out a foot and deflect the ball onto the bar.

Spurs played well after the interval. However after 66 minutes Liverpool appealed without success for a penalty claiming that Sherwood had handled Vignal's throw in. Immediately afterwards Leonhardsen crossed to Clemence in the box. He should have scored but tried to chip Westerveld who saved.

A few minutes later Owen's shot hit Thelwell's hand. He was so close to the ball that he could not avoid it. This time the referee awarded the penalty. McAllister scored from the spot. It was his third important goal in a week. He had already scored the winning goals against both Everton and Barcelona. In the eighty eighth minute Babbel crossed from the right and Fowler scored with a powerful header. The win kept Liverpool on track for qualifying for the Champion's League.

Sunday 9 April 2000
Liverpool (1) 2
Berger 34, Owen 61.
Tottenham Hotspur (0) 0

Liverpool (4-4-2):
S Westerveld; J Carragher, S Henchoz, S Hyypia (capt), D Matteo; D Thompson (V Smicer 72), D Murphy (V Heggem 82), D Hamann, P Berger; M Owen (T Camara 87), E Heskey.
Substitutes not used: R Song, J Nielsen.
Booked: D Murphy.

Tottenham Hotspur (4-4-2):
I Walker; S Carr, C Perry, S Campbell (capt), M Taricco; S Iversen, D Anderton, S Freund, S Clemence (M Etherington 77); D Ginola (S Davies 77), C Armstrong.
Substitutes not used: W Korsten, E Baardsen, L Young.
Booked: C Perry, S Freund, M Taricco.

Attendance: 44,536
Referee: S Lodge (Barnsley).

Managers: George Graham (Tottenham), Gerard Houllier (Liverpool)

The game was played on Sunday because the Grand National had taken place the previous day. With this win Liverpool were unbeaten in eleven games and moved into second place in the Premiership. It was a one way game with Liverpool making most of the running.

For the first half an hour the Spurs midfield matched the Liverpool four. In the 34th minute Liverpool scored. Hamann knocked the ball down with his head to Thompson. He crossed the ball towards Berger. Berger had his back to the goal, swivelled and hit a stunning volley which gave Walker no chance.

Two minutes before the interval Liverpool could have increased their lead. Heskey side stepped Campbell and hit a running drive which smashed against the crossbar.

Liverpool maintained the pressure in the second half. Thompson missed two good chances. Heskey and Owen then created Liverpool's second goal. Heskey came in from the right and unleashed a fierce drive. Walker parried it but it went back to Heskey. He squared the ball to Owen who made no mistake with an easy opportunity.

Saturday 1 May, 1999
Liverpool (0) 3
Redknapp 49 (pen), Ince 77, McManaman 79.
Tottenham Hotspur (2) 2
Carragher 13 (og), Iversen 35.

Liverpool (4-5-1):
B Friedel; B T Kvarme (S Gerrard 45), J Carragher, S Staunton, D Matteo; D Thompson (S I Bjornebye 88), J Redknapp, P Ince, O Leonhardsen (R Song 75), S McManaman, K Riedle.
Subs not used: D James, S Dundee.
Booked: K Riedle.

Tottenham Hotspur (4-3-3):
I Walker; S Carr, R Nilsen, S Campbell (capt), M Taricco, S Freund (T Sherwood 67), D Anderton, S Clemence (L King 45); S Iversen, C Armstrong, J Dominguez (R Fox 81).
Subs not used: E Baardsen, D Ginola.
Booked: M Taricco, C Armstrong, S Freund, I Walker.
Sent off: M Taricco (44, Second Bookable Offence).

Attendance: 44,007
Referee: S Lodge (Barnsley)

Managers: George Graham (Tottenham), Gerard Houllier (Liverpool)

Tottenham were two goals up at half time and looked as though they were going to record their second victory at Anfield this season - they had aleady won here in the Worthington Cup. However Liverpool staged a recovery in the second half to win 3-2. Liverpool were assisted by a dubious decision which resulted in the sending off of Mauricio Taricco.

Manager George Graham was absent on a scouting mission and the Spurs team was managed on the day by Stewart Houston

Spurs opened the scoring after 13 minutes. Armstrong passed to Iversen who advanced down the right before crossing for Armstrong who was challenged by two Liverpool defenders and the goalkeeper. The net result was that Liverpool scored an own goal by Carragher which went through his goalkeeper's legs. Armstrong had an easy chance later in the first half but shot straight at Friedel.

Ten minutes before half time Spurs went 2-0 up. Darren Anderton sent a free kick into the penalty area where Iversen rose to head it home. Just before half time Taricco received the second of two yellow cards in five minutes. Both were for fairly minor offences and the sending off was harsh. This was the first game that referees and their assistants were wired for sound, an experiment which was subsequently abandoned. The new unfamiliar method of communicating may have been a factor in the sending off.

Spurs brought on Ledley King as a substitute after half time. He was making his debut. Liverpool began the second half with greater determination with Gerrard coming on as a substitute. In addition Spurs were down to ten men. Within four minutes Walker was forced to bring down Karlheinz Reidle and Redknapp scored from the penalty spot.

In the 77th minute McManaman took a corner which was pushed on by Redknapp. Ince followed up with a diving header to equalise. Two minutes later Rigobert Song crossed from the byline and McManaman drove home the winner.

Saturday 8 November 1997
Liverpool (0) 4
McManaman 48, Leonhardsen 50, Redknapp 65, Owen 86
Tottenham Hotspur (0) 0

Liverpool (4-4-2):
D James; R Jones (J McAteer 87), B T Kvarme, D Matteo, S I Bjornebye; S McManaman (P Berger 87), J Redknapp, P Ince, O Leonhardsen; R Fowler, K Riedle (M Owen 75).
Subs Not Used: S Harkness, J Nielsen.

Tottenham (5-3-2):
I Walker; S Carr, J Scales, C Calderwood (A Sinton 68), S Campbell (capt), J Edinburgh; D Anderton (J Dominguez 68), D Howells, D Ginola; R Allen (C Armstrong 13), S Iversen.
Subs Not Used: R Fox, E Baardsen.
Booked: D Ginola.

Attendance: 38,006
Referee: S Lodge (Barnsley).

Managers: Gerry Francis (Tottenham), Roy Evans (Liverpool)

Spurs suffered a heavy defeat in this game and it proved to be Gerry Francis' last game in charge. The omens were not good. Spurs had not won an away game since the previous March when they beat Sunderland. Ian Walker's mother had died earlier in the week but he still played.

For not the first time during his reign, Francis played two wingers Anderton and Ginola and included another THREE wingers among the five substitutes Dominguez, Fox and Sinton.

Spurs had the better of the first half and contained Liverpool. The score at half time was 0-0. Liverpool were restricted to long range efforts. Allen had to be replaced early in the game following an elbow from Fowler. Armstrong who replaced him was not fully match fit. In addition Iversen was clearly running out of energy by the end of the first half. As a result Spurs attacking potential was curtailed for the rest of the game.

After thirteen minutes Spurs had an opportunity. Iversen had a powerful header from an Anderton corner. The ball was headed back to Scales whose shot was blocked by Kvarme. Five minutes later a Matteo pass went astray after hitting Bjornebye. It fell to Armstrong who back heeled it to Iversen. Unfortunately he rushed his shot and hit it wide.

What ever hope Spurs may have had at half time disintegrated when they conceded three goals in the first twenty minutes of the second half. Two minutes after the restart Riedle passed to Redknapp located in the right corner of Spurs' penalty area. He hit a low but not particularly hard shot. Walker got down to it but as the ball was slippery could not hold it. It ran to McManaman who had an easy job to open the scoring.

Two minutes later Liverpool were two up in fairly similar circumstances. Riedle played a back pass which allowed Fowler to get past Campbell. He hit a hard shot which again Walker reached but could not hold. This time Leonhardsen got the rebound and put the ball in the back of the net.

Two quick goals broke Spurs' morale and Liverpool took command. After 65 minutes Fowler squared the ball to Redknapp twenty yards out and he scored. Four minutes from the end Ince hit a through pass into the Spurs area. The young substitute Owen beat Walker to the ball before steering it into the empty goal.

With this defeat Spurs were in 16th position having won only once in ten games. It proved to be Gerry Francis' undoing as he was replaced before the next game by Christian Gross.

Saturday 3 May 1997
Liverpool (2) 2
Collymore 15, Berger 43.
Tottenham Hotspur (1) 1
Anderton 5

Liverpool (4-4-2):
D James; B T Kvarme, M Wright, N Ruddock, S I Bjornebye; J McAteer, J Redknapp, M Thomas, S McManaman; P Berger, S Collymore.
Substitutes not used : T Warner, J Barnes, J Harkness, M Owen, J Carragher.
Booked : N Ruddock.

Tottenham Hotspur (3-6-1):
I Walker (E Baardsen 46); D Austin, J Scales, R Vega; C Calderwood, D Anderton (P McVeigh 75), D Howells (R Fox 46), J Dozzell, A Sinton, S Campbell; E Sheringham (capt).
Substitutes not used : J Clapham, N Fenn.
Booked : Anderton.

Attendance : 40,003.
Referee : M D Reed (Birmingham).

Managers: Gerry Francis (Tottenham), Roy Evans (Tottenham)

Spurs took an early lead in this game but fell behind and could not equalise.

Spurs had a number of injured players so the substitutes bench included four young players Baardsen, Clapham, Fenn and McVeigh. In addition Francis fielded a wide midfield which included Sol Campbell at left wing back.

Liverpool had an opportunity right from the kick off but Collymore skyed the ball over the bar. Spurs took the lead after five minutes with virtually their first attack of the game and it was a most unusual goal. Campbell made a run down the wing and crossed into the Liverpool penalty area. James the Liverpool goalkeeper found himself stranded at the near post. The ball came across the goal where Anderton back headed a goal off the far post.

Soon after Spurs had a chance to increase their lead. Anderton floated a free kick into the Liverpool area. The ball was met by Campbell who rose higher than anyone but his header was just over.

After fifteen minutes Liverpool equalised. Berger flicked the ball on the Spurs penalty area from a Ruddock free kick. Berger's move totally unsettled the Spurs' defence and Collymore nipped in to score with a hard low shot.

Spurs played well for the rest of the half. However two minutes before half time Bjornebye gained the ball after a careless pass by Dozell. He centred to Berger who went round Vega with ease and as Walker advanced buried the ball in the back of the net.

Walker had been doubtful all week before the game. He was unable to continue after the interval and Espen Baardsen made his debut replacing Walker. Collymore tested him early in the second half but Baardsen saved his shot. Then Fox was clear at the other end but James saved.

Liverpool had the better of the second half but could not score. Baardsen saved from both Collymore and Redknapp.

Top of page | Back to Fixtures and Results

Last season's match
Read the full report of the corresponding fixture from last season here
Brian Judson's Preview
Read Brian Judson's Nostalgia and preview of the game here
Fixtures, appearances, current league table, form guide, reserves fixtures, and Spurs Honours. [more..]
Find match reports, appearances, goalscorers and features from previous seasons. [more..]
Pick of the Week
Every week we select a Spurs related site from the whole world wide web and highlight it in this section. [more..]
View a comprehensive list of links to other Spurs related sites. (With a few extras) [more..]
About this site
Site Owner
Paul Smith

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Full details van be found via the Spurs Odyssey Privacy Policy